[OPE-L:5505] Re: Re: More Intense Labor

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 13:54:12 EDT

re Jerry's 5502

>Re Rakesh's [5501]:
>
>>  Fine. There is no purely physiological need; what > appears to be a
>physical need for rest and
>>   recuperation cannot be separated strictly
>>  speaking from socially and culturally determined > needs. The point
>reamains that whatever the
>>  working class needs for rest and  rucuperation
>>  --  as physiologically/culturally/socially
>>  determined--  is   threatened by an intensification
>>   of labor. The  working class will now
>>   need" (though not in a  strict physiological sense
>>   as you correctly  insist) more time for rest and
>>  recuperation.
>
>The struggle over intensification of labor rarely
>leads _directly_ to struggles over increased non-working time.  There is no
>_necessary_ relation
>between these struggles.

Is there a necessary connection between any two things? What do you
mean by necessary?

>Indeed, it is more frequently the case that  workers
>internationally who work more intensively  _also_
>have less time off from work (i.e. they tend to work more hours/day;
>days/week; weeks/yr).

Doesn't matter. These workers also have a need for some rest,
recuperation and/or consumption after a given expenditure of labor.
If that expenditure is made more intense without a commensurate
increase in rest, recuperation and/or consumption, the wage will fall
below the value of labor power; the workers will experience
immiseration.

>This is because the same relative strength of the
>capitalist class vis-a-vis the working class that
>allows them to be able to increase the one also
>allows them to more easily increase the other.

If some set of workers is less able to force adjustments on the
capitalist class after intensification, this only means that they are
more likely to suffer a depression of the wage below the value of
labor power, i.e., suffer immiseration.

>This tends to be particularly the case in economies
>in which the relative size of the industrial reserve
>army is significantly greater than the international average. This also,
>btw, means that these
>capitalists can expect less working-class resistance
>to attempts by capitalists  to increase  relative
>surplus value through labor-saying technical
>change.

Again I don't see how this speaks in favor of your thesis that
intensification is ipso facto a form of relative surplus value.

>>  And in this case we don't have a clear case of
>>  relative surplus value.
>
>Rakesh -- even with labor-saving technical change
>workers can experience a decline in wages
>below the value of labor power. Simply because
>the two events can happen at the same time
>doesn't establish a causal relation.

Non responsive. The question you are not answering is this: does the
extra surplus value which comes from depressing the wage below the
value of labor power count as relative surplus value?

>Indeed, to the extent that increasing relative
>surplus value by increasing labor-power saving
>technical change increases the relative strength
>of capital, it also can help capital  to decrease
>wages below the value of labour power,
>increase labor productivity further by
>increasing the intensity of labor, _and_ increase
>absolute surplus value.

But in his analysis of the production of relative surplus value
through technical change, Marx does not allow the wage to fall below
the value of labor power. And here you suggest yourself that the
depression of the wage below the value of labor power is an
additional source of surplus value over and above relative surplus
value.

>*All that need be shown is that an increase in
>the intensification of labor does not necessarily
>lead to a change in the VLP and/or a depression
>of wages below the VLP to refute your
>argument*.

No, the burden is the exact opposite. Your thesis that
intensification is *necessarily* a form of relative surplus value is
jeopardized if by intensification  the extra surplus value which
derives thereform is caused in some cases by the wage falling below
the value of labor power as it is itself modified upward by
intensification.

>Carefully consider the following:
>
>-- Suppose that there has been an increase in
>relative surplus value due to labor-saving technical
>change.

ok

>-- Can there _then_ be a change in the VLP or
>an  *increase or depression* of wages in relation
>to the VLP?

yes but marx's point is that additional surplus value can be produced
without the wage falling below the value of labor power and without
an elongation of the working day. In the case of
intensification--unlike the examples of relative surplus value which
Marx gives--it is possible that the extra surplus value from
intensification is entirely a result of the depression of the wage
below the value of labor power. In fact my impression is that this
what most often happens.

>      Answer to above: Of course. Either is possible.
>Neither consequence is _necessary_. Whether
>the VLP and wages relative to VLP changes
>depends on *other* variables.

You have the burden reversed: if you want to show that
intensification is necessarily a form of relative surplus value, you
have to show that it is not necessary that the value of labor power
is not changed by intensification.  And this you have not done.

It is quite possible--in fact likely--that intensification changes
the value of labor power while as a result of the wage falling below
this new value of labor power, the capitalists enjoy extra surplus
value just as they do in the cases of relative surplus value Marx
analyzes. From the perspective of the capitalists--which is the point
of view you are assuming--the extra surplus value from the depression
of the wage below the value of labor power and th extra surplus value
from the reduction of necessary labor time allowed by labor saving
technical change seems to be the same. But they are not the same from
the point of the view of the working class.

>The same is true for what can happen _after_
>there has been an increase in the intensity of
>work. Thus, *since you have already recognized
>how an increase in the intensity of work can be
>understood as an increase in relative surplus
>value*,

it can be such if say after intensity doubles the value of labor
power only increases by one and a half, but I see no reason why the
numbers would work out this way. *Nor have you  provided any reason
why they must work out this way.*

>we must comprehend an increase in the
>intensity of work as a form of relative surplus
>value.

No we *must* not do any such thing. What we shouldn't do is consider
intensification to necessarily be a form of relative surplus value.

>All of the other results that you mention
>are _only_ possibilities and are not necessary
>consequences of an increase in the intensity of
>labor.

You may not consider it necessary that after a more intense
expenditure of labor workers don't need more rest, recuperation or
consumption, but workers do need exactly that. And they may not be
able to get what they need. The privation thereby suffered is in fact
quite real.

>>  So does the extra surplus value which derives
>>  om depressing the  wage below the value of
>>  labor power count as relative surplus value?
>
>I don't accept your premise that increasing the
>intensity of labor represents a decrease in wages
>below the VLP. See above.

You don't have to accept that premise to answer the question in which
said premise does not appear!

Yours, Rakesh