[OPE-L:5568] surplus-value change from vol. 1 to vol. 3?

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 09:41:10 EDT

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Rakesh Narpat Bhandari wrote:

> I mean that  s actually depends on whether the means of
> production were bought above or below value (assuming that labor
> transfers gratis their value in toto to the output).

Similarly, Rakesh had also argued in (5542), that after the determination
of prices of production: "the sum of surplus value in any branch could be
higher or lower depending on whether the means of prod [are] sold below of
above value ..."

In other words, Rakesh is arguing that THE MAGNITUDE OF SURPLUS-VALUE
CHANGES from Volume 1 to Volume 3, because the assumption regarding the
price of the MP changes from V1 to V3 -  right, Rakesh?

1.  I said in my last post that I do not know of one single passage in
Volume 3 or elsewhere iin Marx's manuscripts in which he stated that the
magnitude of surplus-value changes from V1 to V3.  I know of many passages
in which Marx stated that the profits of individual industries could be
(and generally are) different from the surplus-values produced in each
industry.  But I know of no passage in which Marx states that the
surplus-value itself changes from V1 to V3.

So I asked Rakesh in my last post for references to passages in which Marx
stated that the magnitude of surplus-value changes from Volume 1 to Volume
3.  Rakesh replied with two references - the same two passages we have
been discussing for a long time: C.III.: 264-65 and C.III: 308-09.

But, Rakesh, I find nothing in these two passages about a change in the
magnitude of surplus-value.  So, would you please quote for us the
specific sentences from these passages in which you think Marx is stating
that the magnitude of surplus-value changes from V1 to V3.

Thanks very much in advance.

2.  Beyond the lack of textual evidence, a change in the magnitude of
surplus-value as a result of the detemination of prices of production (as
Rakesh suggests) contradicts one of the basic premises of Marx's theory -
that the magnitude of surplus-value DOES NOT CHANGE as a result of the
distribution of surplus-value.  I have documented in two papers the
textual evidence on this basic premise, and would be happy to review these
texts.

Therefore, either Rakesh's interpretation is wrong about the mangitude of
surplus-value changing as a result of the determination of prices of
production, or Marx was wrong when he stated many times that the magnitude
of surplus-value does not change as a result of the distribution of
surplus-value.  I think Rakesh's interpretation is wrong.

Rakesh, I look forward to your reply and to further discussion.

Comradely,
Fred