[OPE-L:5596] Re: What is the effect of changes in Dept IIb/III?

From: John Ernst (ernst@pipeline.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 11:47:30 EDT

In 5587, Paul C.  wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2001, you wrote:
> Re John's [5573]:
>
> > Jerry,  it seems to me that necessary labor time
> > would not change due to an increase of
> > productivity in the luxury goods sector if
> > one assumes that all processes are equally
> > profitable prior to the change in productivity in
> >  that sector.  However, as the
> > change occurs, the luxury goods producer would > earn a higher  rate of
> return and the workers
> > would be creating more social value than before.
>
> Yes, they would be creating more value during
> the same working hours (i.e. there would be no
> increase in absolute surplus value).

Increase in productivity does not equate with increase
in value. Au contraire to relative devaluation of the product.

My comment:   Ultimately, you're right.  However, if we look at
the way Marx introduces us to the concept of relative surplus
value, we find workers creating more *social* value immediately
after productivity doubles.  Recall that workers are generating
social values greater than the individual value they produce as
the productivity doubles.  Marx notes that this is an increase
in the rate of surplus value.

John