[OPE-L:5634] the division of labor in a dialectical systematic theory of capitalism?

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 09:22:55 EDT

In 5632 Ajit wrote:

> The problem is simple: how do you deal with the
> means of production part of the commodity in its
> exchange?

Reuten-Williams after an answer to that problem
in _Value-Form and the State_, pp. 68-71. In
brief, from their perspective the magnitude of the
value transferred  from the means of production is
determined by the *current value*  (or what R/W
call the *current ideal value*) of the m of
p rather than the historical value (historical costs).
On this point, see 9c (71) and note 6 (69).

On my first (mis-) reading of 5632, I thought that
Ajit was referring in part to the theorization of
the *division of labor* in VFT.   This led me to
look through a whole pile of books either
written by or including articles by VFT authors
including Chris, Tony S, Geert, and Mike W.
To my surprise, I found hardly anything written
specifically on this subject.  Even in R/W's
systemic dialectical presentation, the division of
labor under capitalism is not a subject that is
developed.  What is the reason for this omission?

Have any VFT authors written a review of Rob
Beamish's book _Marx, method, and the division
of labor_ (Urbana, University of Illinois Press,
1992)?   I think it is a very important piece of
scholarship on this topic.

More generally, where is the theorization within
R/W and other VFT writings on the subjects
developed in _Capital_ Vol 1, Chs. 13-15?
The closest that I can find to a theorization of
those subjects from a VFT perspective are
Tony's writings at a much more concrete level
of analysis re "Lean Production" (e.g. his
article in the Arthur/Reuten ed. _The Circulation
of Capital_).

I am truly puzzled by this.

In solidarity, Jerry