[OPE-L:5698] Re: Re: de-bunking the de-bunk

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 08:51:47 EDT

Yes Gerry,

But you forget that my critique of LTV marxism begins from a completely
different foundation to Sraffians et al. I don't start by saying "the LTV
leads to logical conundrums"; I start by saying "the LTV is inconsistent
with Marx's dialectical theory of value". So with that start, any theory
which attempts to prove that the LTV is viable in any form doesn't even get
to first base with me. It may be a LTV theory; but to me, it ain't Marx.

Similarly on TSS; I could, if I had the time--which I don't--put TSS into a
general and generic dynamic form, and show that it is internally
inconsistent (I suspect that it too would only work with constant L/K
ratios in all industries). If I didn't believe that the LTV was itself
badly formed, I would feel obliged to do that (if I thought that the time
it would take was warranted).

 From my point of view, these arguments feel a bit like fighting the Black
Knight in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". From my point of view--and
from the point of view of the historians of economic thought who refereed
my papers on this issue--I've already cut off both legs (the belief that
the LTV is Marx's fundamental theory of value, and the belief that the LTV
is consistent with his theory of value). Now VFT and TSS interpretations
are threatening to bite me to death. Sorry, but I'd prefer to engage with
other heterodox economists who don't share these hangups.

Which is not to say that other heterodoxers don't have hangups, as you go
on to argue. Yes, Keynes still accepted the marginal productivity theory of
income distribution (a greater crime, in my opinion, than still falling for
utility maximisation, given his macroeconomic focus). But that I see as a
skin which he was discarding; what I focus on in Keynes are the very rich
appreciations of uncertainty and the role of finance, which are largely
expressed in Chapter 12 of the GT and his 1937 papers.

True, Kalecki is a better father of what is called Post Keynesianism than
Keynes. But even Kalecki would accept that Keynes was the better writer,
and more strongly focused on the fundamental importance of uncertainty in
analysing capitalist investment. I'm also quite willing to regard some of
the analyses you cite as belonging to my chapter 14--so long as they don't
base themselves on the LTV, which many of them don't. It's the LTV (in
whatever form) that I object to, not Marx.

However, both Keynes and Kalecki (moreso the former) didn't appreciate the
importance of dynamic analysis over static--and many of their followers
still make the same mistake (a failing which I point out in chapter 14).

There are some arguments I would reject in your statements
below--Post-Keynesians aren't marginalists (but most are static theorists,
which is almost as bad). As for myself, I can cope with being typecast as a
Post Keynesian, but if I have the chance to apply my own economist label,
then it is a Marxian evolutionary economist.

Cheers,
Steve

Home Page: http://www.debunking-economics.com
             http://bus.uws.edu.au/steve-keen/