[OPE-L:5700] total surplus-value in Marx's theory

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 11:14:44 EDT

Geert, I have a simple question for you, which I hope clarifies the main
point I am trying to make:

In a given period, if rent (or interest) were to increase (for whatever
reason), and everything else remains the same, would the total
surplus-value increase or remain the same, according to Marx's theory?

I argue that, according to Marx's theory, the total surplus-value would
remain the same, because the total surplus-value is determined by surplus
labor, independently of the division of the total surplus-value into
individual parts (profit, rent, interest, etc.).  Therefore, an increase
of rent (that is not due to an increase of surplus labor) would not affect
the total surplus-value, but would instead be necessarily offset by a
decline in one or more of the other individual parts of surplus-value.

Geert, do you agree with this?  I sure hope so.  This is the main point I
have been trying to make.

I look forward to your reply.

Comradely,
Fred