[OPE-L:5722] Re: Re: why are we on this list?

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 03:45:40 EDT

Rakesh,

You once described me as a "class traitor" (don't you remember?). Calling
supporters of an LTV in general the Black Knight, in the context of a Monty
Python reference, is I would hope a far milder statement.

And for christ's sake, I never said that "the point of his interventions
has been to handicap the Marxian theoretical project." Bullshit. I am
willing to point out where I believe interpretations of Marx have been
illogical and/or untrue to Marx.

Steve
At 10:13 AM 6/1/01 Friday, you wrote:
>>Rakesh wrote in [5703]:
>>
>>>  I appreciate your presence here Steve, but if
>>>  you would prefer to  engage other hetero
>>>  economists, why are you on this list?
>>
>>Steve is on this list for the same reason others
>>are: to exchange ideas, learn from each other,
>>sharpen our own perspectives,  and challenge
>>our own preconceptions.
>
>Jerry, that intent does not come across if your opponent is characterized
>in the ridiculed form of the black knight.
>

>>  We benefit enormously
>>from the presence of members like Steve K and
>>Gil and Gary and Ajit for they force us to
>>explain what we might otherwise have taken
>>for granted.
>
>I disagee that much of benefit was derived from five years of discussion
>of the the putative logical problems in chapter five and the alleged
>mistake of not thinking out the implications of the value-use value
>dialectic. Gary did not respond to your or my questions about the
>methodology of comparative statics. I can't get anything out of Ajit's
>post because he now refuses to answer my responses since this would be a
>waste of his time.
>

>>  Coming from different intellectual
>>traditions, they also bring to the discussion a
>>knowledge of a literature that we might not be
>>as well versed in.  We are lucky to have them
>>as members.
>
>I think they have effectively derailed what was supposed to be the point
>of this list--to extend Marx's unfinished project into a theory of the
>world market, the state, central bank policy, etc. As Steve said, the
>point of his interventions has been to handicap the Marxian theoretical
>project.
>

>Rakesh

Home Page: http://www.debunking-economics.com
             http://bus.uws.edu.au/steve-keen/