[OPE-L:5723] Re: Re: Re: why are we on this list?

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 04:36:36 EDT

>Rakesh,
>
>You once described me as a "class traitor" (don't you remember?).
>Calling supporters of an LTV in general the Black Knight, in the
>context of a Monty Python reference, is I would hope a far milder
>statement.

No Steve, I blurted out rather lamely that you were class traitors
after reading five years' worth of criticism of value theoretic
Marxists as charlatans and fundamentalist popes--which is clearly how
you, Gil and Ajit think of those who find Marx's value theory to be
basically sound. Do any of you seriously think such a low estimation
has not been at the least implicit in what you have submitted to this
list?

Yet it seems that your damning criticism of the use value-value
dialectic has not been cited by more people than Gil's chapter 5
critique (which raises the question of where you both get the
confidence to maintain such views other than from the general
bourgeois encouragement for any logical critique of Marx's labor
theory of value), and of course every economist knows the correctness
of Ajit's argment that Marx would have had to give up his value
theory upon comprehension of Bortkiewicz's complete transformation
calculation with same integrity with which Frege abandoned his set
theory on receipt of Russel's criticism.

The point to understand here is that no matter how much your
criticisms can be turned against neo classical economics that you
have given a radical imprimatur to the burying of Marx will secure
you a position in bourgeois economics departments. For someone who,
though an ostensible radical,  thinks a real life Marxian is a
charlatan and a fundamentalist pope there will always be room at the
faculty club. The ideological point of the university is not to
propagate the ruling class point of view--that's why they have think
tanks-- but to defuse revolutionary criticism.

There will always be room for rational alternatives to Marx in the
university--whether it is so called analytical or "evolutionary"
(Bernstein?) marxism or deficit spending, low interest rate
Keynesianism or Bourdieuan sociology or left wing Heideggerian
metaphysics.

That's the nature of the beast.

Rakesh