[OPE-L:5731] RE: Re: why are we on this list?

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@stjohns.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 12:59:05 EDT

This discussion has heated up and there is a danger of some bad feeling
developing. I hope we can take things down a notch or two before the debate
becomes unpleasant.

I'm sorry Rakesh interpreted my silence as arrogance, and I apologize for not
responding to him and Jerry.  I was indeed very busy just when that discussion
was going on, and as a matter of sensible time-management, I try to limit my
interventions in on-line discussion. The issue of equilibrium versus dynamics
has been hashed out at length in many forums, and the participants seldom seem
to budge from their entrenched positions.  My points, in my intervention, were

1.    that different tools are useful for addressing different questions;

2.    that the questions addressed within the long-period equilibrium method
are interesting and important, and therefore deserve our attention and ought
to be sorted out;

3.    but they are not the only interesting and important questions;
accordingly dynamic and historical (and I suppose dialectical) approaches have
merit; and

4.    just as the long period equilibrium method has its limitations, so too Well, that's my two cents.

All the best,

Gary