[OPE-L:5738] Re: why are we on this list?

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 21:30:25 EDT

Re Rakesh's [5735]:

Did anyone else notice the irony that shortly after
complaining that Steve et al were responsible for
the endless discussions by Marxists about the
'transformation problem' etc and were thereby
stopping our progression onto other topics such
as the world market, Rakesh himself has re-raised
the issue of the TP in his questions in [5735] to
Gary?

The record on OPE-L, I would assert, has not
been that the discussions on the TP have been
raised by those on the list who have charged that
Marx is logically inconsistent. Rather, it is those
who have attempted to show that Marx is logically
consistent and that the 'problem' is a non-problem
who have been the ones who have initiated some
of our more lengthy exchanges on the TP. Another
irony:  one of our recent threads on the TP was
extended by Rakesh himself with his ardent
support of the Gouverneur solution. In general,
our debates have mostly focused on who had
the best solution to the TP rather than wether there is a solution to the
TP.

All we need do to break this cycle is agree to
move on to other topics. But, if we go on to again
discuss issues associated with the TP then let
us at least not scapegoat our members who believe
that there is no legitimate solution to the TP.

In solidarity, Jerry