[OPE-L:5789] Re: cause(s) and consequence(s) of the Marxist 'obsession'

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 06:01:44 EDT

Hi Jerry,

Re the history of the debate, and indeed the current debate, on
value, TP, etc: You suggest that the justification has
overwhelmingly been on some sort of defensive grounds, *rather
than* on more positive grounds. This is too simplistic because this
negative, defensive aspect this does not *exclude* a second,
positive, aspect that drives defenders (and indeed critics) of Marx's
value theory, viz. the view that getting the abstract value theory
right has massive implications for more concrete work. This
*second* aspect must be *the* ultimate justification and drive of
value debates for there would be little of scientific merit otherwise.

The point is one about abstraction. The most abstract and
fundamental reason for debate is the positive one. This can be
seen by imagining a world where there was no need for defensive
justification. In such a world one would still end up debating the
abstract stuff because of its importance. On the other hand, if we
imagine a world where there was no practical relevance to value
theory then there would be no practical point in defending Marx on
this.

I do recognise that some (many, perhaps) contributors to the
debate have *explicitly denied* that 'practical relevance' is their
prime concern. To this I would point out that the explicit
justifications scientists give for their work need not be in line with
the true justification implicit. So the *significance* of what you refer
to as 'manifest evidence', viz., the accounts of scientists
themselves, is not so 'manifest' at all, it cannot be taken at face
value as you appear to do. The importance of value, it's practical
relevance, is a much more likely cause of the debate than any
explicit denial of practical relevance on the part of participants.

Re Fine's concrete contributions: most important, imo, is not any
single one, but the whole lot. Why? Because when faced with the
question of 'what is the point of value theory?' I can point to Fine's
work and say, 'look at that and tell me there is no point!:)'. As for
discussing at such concrete levels in detail, I'm not yet up to it, I'm
afraid. My (minimal) competence ceases once I get past the TP
(which is where my PhD ends).

Best wishes,

Andy