[OPE-L:5753] Re: the infinite quantity of logically plausible social theories theorem (IQLPSTT)

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 21:43:27 EDT

Gerry,

this is a very important issue that you raise, and I want to address the
reason why it's an argument for making sure that your foundations are
theoretically consistent!

Basically, I agree that as you put it "if it can be shown that a theory is
logically plausible and consistent, the merit of any one of this set of
theories can not be judged based on this alone. Indeed, it only establishes
a trivial result."

However, if the obverse applies--"if it can be shown that a theory is
logically implausible and inconsistent"--then if you plough on regardless,
at some point that implausibility and inconsistency will leap out and bite you.

For neoclassicals, one of the many points at which that arises is the
so-called Sonnenshein-Mantel-Debreu conditions to allow aggregation of
individual utilities to develop social utility. Those conditions amount to
saying that this aggregation is possible if there is one consumer and one
commodity, but no more--in other words, that aggregation *isn't* possible.

This of itself shouldn't be surprising--the notion that one cannot compare
the subjective utilities two individuals get from consuming the same
quantity of a substance is built in to their Bentham/Say foundations.

But what they do in response to this is 'surprising'--if you try to
interpret them as scientists. They gloss over this, develop a logically
coherent theory of the individual and then LEAP over this logical conundrum
to argue that the same analysis applies at the social and systemic level.

The trouble is, having leapt over this inconsistency, it can't help but
reappear in myriad other places--such as their theory of finance. And the
inconsistency is there for all to see (if the wool isn't pulled down too
hard over the eyes), making a mockery of everything they say after week
three of lectures.

There are numerous other such flaws in their thinking, and the irony is
that because it is such a monist theory, every little error unravels the
entire structure on its own. Thus they can only explain distribution if
returns to scale are constant; their theory of competition requires
collusion to explain how price can equal marginal cost (a new one I've
located); their theory of production only works if all industries are
identical (Sraffa's contribution)...

In the end, this isn't a science--it's a religion.

Now the same thing applies to Marxian economics *if* the proposition that
labour is the only source of value, and value the only source of profit, is
taken to be of central significance. If so, then you hit the TP brick wall
as soon as you try to produce a more sophisticated analysis than one which
presumes there is just one industry and one commodity.

To give Marxian economists their infinite due over neoclassicals, this is
not an issue that they've simply waved a magic wand over (like the SMD
conditions) and carried on willy-nilly. This is a far, far more honest a
way to proceed--to say that, yes, there is a problem, and we're going to
try to solve it or find a way to resolve it.

But surely one hundred and thirty years of trying, without finding a
solution that someone else could not find a logical flaw in, is a sign that
maybe this problem *is* insoluble--and that maybe therefore there is
something wrong with the initial presumption that "labour is the only
source of value, and value the only source of profit"...

This is the perspective that Sraffians take on Marx--and those devoted to
this presumption then think that the flaw lies with the Sraffians for
analysing Marx statically, when he was actually a dynamic theorist.

I *am* a dynamic theorist, and--for quite different reasons to Sraffians--I
expect that this dynamic riposte could also be demolished if it were
expressed properly as a dynamic model. This is not because I've done that
work, but because from a quite different perspective, I believe that Marx's
true philosophical foundations yield the result that "labour and
commodities are the joint sources of value, and value is the only source of
profit" (and that this foundation can then be consistently extended to
realise financial profit, etc.).

Now I know I've got buckley's of convincing anyone on this list of that,
and by and large, I don't try. But because I don't have to solve the TP to
do further work, I do further work (I might add that I think this is how
Allin et al approach this, since they treat the LTV as a statistical
approximation, and can therefore do much more elaborate work without
tripping over their own toes).

This is also the approach of the Sraffians--they simply accept that profit
exists without musing as to where it comes from, and get on with it. I
critisise their use of static analysis, as Gary and Ajit know well (and
they appreciate my position in a fashion that lets us have meaningful and
helpful dialogue about it). It's also the case with Post Keynesians, who
almost ignore the need for philosophical foundations in a way that I think
leaves much of their arguments floating in mid air.

But with Marxists who take the propositions about the source of value as
foundational? Well, I think that in another century's time, their
descendants will *still* be trying to solve the transformation problem.

Cheers,
Steve

Home Page: http://www.debunking-economics.com
             http://bus.uws.edu.au/steve-keen/