[OPE-L:5808] Re: form and content re value-form and abstract labour

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 12:42:51 EDT

Hi Jerry, thank for your post.

I agree (and have emphasized) that abstract labor is NECESSARILY RELATED
to money.  One cannot have abstract labor without money.  But that does
not mean that abstract labor is THE SAME THING as money.  The two things
are DISTINCT ENTITIES but they are NECESSARILY RELATED.  To say that they
are necessarily related does not imply that they become the same
thing.  Indeed, to have a necessary connection between two things, the two
things have to be separate entities.

In Marx's logic, he started with abstract labor ("INDEPENDENTLY of its
form of appearance"; C.I. 128) and then derived the necessity of money
from this abstract labor.  So I think it would be more accurate to say
that abstract labor is LOGICALLY PRIOR to money, or is defined and derived
independently of money, than to say that it exists independently from
money.  Abstract labor exists independently from money only in the sense
that it is not the same thing as money.  But abstract labor does not exist
independently in the sense that it could continue to exist even if there
were no money.  The fact that abstract labor is a distinct entity from
money does not imply that it can exist without money.  Abstract labor is a
distinct entity that has a necessary connection with money.  So Marx's
theory negates the premise of your question: Marx's theory concludes that
as long as there are commodities and abstract labor, there will be
money.  But that does not mean that abstract labor is the same thing as
money, as it is in value-from theory.

Jerry, does this help?

Comradely,
Fred