[OPE-L:5839] Re: form and content re value-form and abst

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 11:01:32 EDT

I tried to send this to the  earlier...

Hello Fred,

Abstract labour indeed determines price as you say. This requires
that there two distinct magnitudes, viz. abstract labour time and
price magnitude, with the one determining the other (ie. the
quantity of one leads to the quantity of the other, and not vice
versa).

But does this require that abstract labour exists independently of
price? Above I talked about quantity, but not quality. Do they have
to be qualitatively 'independent'? Why should this follow?

More generally I tried to gain some more precision on existence
and indepencence etc, in the previous post. I just don't think one
sentence re existence and independence is ever going to be
adequate, especially given the subtleties we are dealing with. Don't
you agree?

Finally, note that I do allow that abstract labour exists
independently of price if in a rather ordinary, transhistorical sense.
Abstract labour exists as a mere aspect of concrete labour in all
societies. Still, this fact is very important [I should not have called
it 'banal' in my earlier post], since, for example, it is what gives rise
to the transhitorical law that labour must be distributed in definite
proportions within society. Perhaps this last point, is what you
have in mind re 'independence'?

What is *not* transhistorical, is value (the analougue of Hegel's
Essence), which is 'congealed' abstract labour, or 'thing-like'
abstract labour, having a quasi separate existence. This only
occurs in the CMP.

Many thanks,

Andy