[OPE-L:5851] Re: form and content re value-form and abstract labour

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 05:01:01 EDT

Fred,

I checked out the Oxford dictionary of philosophy (admittedly not a
great source since it is biased towards analytical
philosophy)....and indeed, if you look up 'entity' it says 'see things'.
And if you look up 'things' it says there are two possible meanings
of 'entity'. The former meaning is basically your one (where 'entity'
is an unrestrictive notion connoting anything within one's ontology,
so including 'aspects'). And the latter is basically mine (a restrictive
notion where entities/things are individual 'objects' *rather than*
mere 'aspects').

So I prefer to say 'aspect' because of its added precision and
because it doesn't risk being misinterpreted, in the way that I have
misinterpreted your use of the term 'entity' (ie. as the latter, more
restrictive meaning). This is all the more important given that value
is such a mysterious and difficult notion from an ontological point of
view. The more precision and the less the potential for
misunderstanding, the better.

Murray's notion of a 'distinction of reason' is useful here. 'Abstract
labour' is indeed a 'distinction of reason'. As such it can never truly
*exist* independently, though it is a distinct aspect. The peculiarity
of the CMP is that abstract labour does gain 'quasi' separate
exitence, as I have suggested in previous posts. Chris A's recent
'Spectral Ontology of Value' is very useful on these ontological
issues (though I deeply disagree with the absence of abstract
labour from Chris's initial articulation of value).

So we have have reached full agreement on the issues you
mention, especially, if I have persuaded you of the added clarity
talking of using the term 'aspect' rather than 'entity' here.

Many thanks,

Andy