[OPE-L:5873] Re: Re: Reply to fred

From: paul bullock (paulbullock@ebms-ltd.in2home.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 06:36:44 EDT

In reading these exchanges, one particular feature strikes me, that is, the lack or absence of a definition that is explicity founded in private property and class relations. The emphasis is on exchange, the market.  Perhaps I misunderstand what is being said, but certainly the reiteration of the term 'abstract' labour, without clarifying what is meant by 'abstract'  doesn't seem to help. At times, as with the 'value form' school... we seem to have 'abstract '  meaning 'of no particular concrete/ or technical skill'... human labour in general... although there is an avoidance of the notion of some essential physical/mental activity.. since this would move into an obvious a-historical position.

'Exchange value'  is  predicated upon  private property. Now we are no longer dealing with a directly 'human'/ social process, but  - as I stressed some time ago - the link in an historically new indirect  social process. Private property exchanges with private property, abstracted from the particular existence of man as a directly social being. Mankinds directly social being is of no immediate interest to capital. The quality of labour socially, becomes 'abstract' when direct exchanges are broken down through the spontaneous development of money. It becomes systematically so when labour is torn away from any possibilty of exchanging its own products freely, ie when the labourer  is forced to sell his/her labour power as a commodity.  Abstract labour as a social reality  ( a category/ the substance of a relation), comes into being  over a period of time. Understanding it after industrial capitalism had developed simply enabled us correctly to understand the history leading up to it accurately.

Money is the universal form of existence of this social, and no longer personal,  labour . Money is the gateway by which private property is able to act for its own society, it blesses the private offering with the stamp of social validation. It reveals the abstract, social, nature of the labour performed privately.

We can continue, correctly to say that 'abstract labour' is the substance of value, we thus separate out the  social quality of labour performed for private property with society  in mind, from any particular skill of any labour resulting in a useful thing. The former cannot exist without the latter, the latter can, has existed and will exist in the future without the former.  Our concern however is not to make this simple distinction (simple for us to pick up from Marx), but constantly to relate the 'abstract' quality to the class nature of capitalist society, that it is a society of private property using the 'alienable' powers of  propertyless labour.  So please, even if you take this as given, can we constantly relate the 'abstract' to the specific relations  between private property, and so class society based on labour power as a commodity, and not one sidedly reiterate the fact of exchange as such.

Fraternally

Paul B.