[OPE-L:5874] Re: Re: Re: Reply to fred

From: howard engelskirchen (lhengels@igc.org)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 01:31:34 EDT

Paul --

I think value form's approach in identifying economic forms first and
explaining private property on that basis is correct.  As I understand it,
exchange value is predicated upon the autonomy of independent producers who
produce values useless to them for others.  This is not a relationship of
property, at least in any legal sense, but a relationship concerning the
distribution of agents of production to the means of production.  Property
relations as legal relations are relations of force and consciousness
derivative of that.  So if we want to speak of commodity ownership we would
speak of onwership of value and reach the reverse of your proposition,
namely:  private property is predicated upon the value form of labor.
Capital is more complicated because it is intrinsically a relationship
involving the subordination of will, nonetheless we can start with the
distribution of agents in the sense of the separation of direct producers
from the means of production.  And this of course is immediately a class
relation.

Howard