[OPE-L:5889] Re: Jerry on describing Kliman v. URPE

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 08:35:25 EDT

Jerry,

Andrew Kliman's suit, as I understand it, is NOT because an article was not
accepted for publication --
but rather is a defamation suit.  By the nature of a defamation case Andrew
himself cannot repeat the defamation as it would publicizing the negative
about himself.  Nor do I know it myself.

I do understand that he and his lawyer proposed a "settlement" which would
not have involved money and they thought a mild enough retraction by URPE.
It was offered before a lot of legal costs transpired.  Andrew told me that
the proposal was rejected by URPE.

Paul

Zarembka, editor, RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY at
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka