[OPE-L:5899] time for a change?

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 09:15:49 EDT

Since OPE-L's inception, I have been the list "Coordinator" and "owner".   Having one person as the co-coordinator has had its advantages and
disadvantages for the list. One disadvantage is that
when I go away or have computer access problems,
tasks go waiting.  I have never felt strongly one way
or the other about whether there should be more than 1 list co-coordinator, although, I have repeatedly
emphasized that OPE-L is (and should remain) a
*collaborative* project in which all members have some level of responsibility and decision-making for
list activities.

What do others think?  Would the list be better
served by a small group of co-coordinators (2-3 people) rather than 1?   Some responsibilities include: checking error messages, changing members' subscribed addresses when necessary, forwarding 'rejected' messages to the list, making relevant announcements, attempting to stimulate discussion, answering inquiries from non-members,
and having off-list discussions with members about candidates recommended for membership. Tact, diplomacy, and a sense of humor are all desirable skills (of which I sometimes am in short supply of.)

Or, we can go on the way things are. Any thoughts
on-or off-list would be appreciated. I've been thinking
about raising the above issue for some time (especially since August, 1997 when I first
experienced severe health problems). I should also
note, in passing, that we have gone on for a much
longer period of time than any of the founding members, including myself, originally envisioned
and consequently my service as "Coordinator" has
gone on much longer than I originally envisioned.
I am willing to continue in that capacity, but I'm
not sure if that best serves the list.

In solidarity, Jerry