[OPE-L:5952] war

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 00:54:13 EDT

i can only pray that rumsfeld will not soon be saying that we need the missle
shield so that this never happens again...will the indian air force and the
pentagon risk taking out pakistan's nuclear assets?

from KJ Varma, islamabad, sept 19 PTI

Pakistan military ruler Pervez Musharraf tonight made an astounding
attack on India accusing it of bringing bad name to his country and Islam
and asked New Delhi to ''lay off'' from such ''propaganda''.

                                  In a televised address to the nation,
Musharraf, who is facing stiff opposition from hardliners to give unstinted
support to US in its fight against terrorism, sought the country's backing as
critical concerns including Kashmir could be endangered.

     Musharraf admitted that the U S has sought intelligence and information
exchange, use of air space and logistic support but has not not readied
operational plans.

Apparently addressing the hardliners, Musharraf said the U S was not not
targeting Islam or people of Afghanistan in its pursuit of terrorist mastermind
Osama bin Laden being hunted by Washington for last week's terrorist strike on
America.

       Directing his attack on New Delhi, Musharraf claimed that India had
offered its military bases and logistical support to the U S. India "wants the
US to be with them and get Pakistan declared a terrorist state, harm  its
strategic concerns and its Kashmir cause," he said.

"It is regrettable that when the entire world is talking about fight against
terrorism, India, with whom we were discussing peace and cooperation, is trying
to bring a bad name to Pakistan and Islam," he said in his 30-minute address in
Urdu.

Musharraf said "They (India) want that our nuclear and strategic assets should
be harmed".

    Alleging that Indian television was continuously pounding anti-Pakistan
propaganda, Musharraf said New Delhi wanted to prop up an anti-Pakistan
Government in Afghanistan. He said representatives from certain countries
including India had recently met in Dushanbe, capital of Tajikistan, recently
to discuss the Afghan situation.

   "What was the intention. India does not not share borders with
Afghanistan. There is no no connection between India and  Afghanistan....In
my view they want to bring changes in Afghanistan as it wanted to instal an
anti-Pakistan Government there," he said.

   "My message to India is to lay off," the Pakistan President, dressed in
military fatigues, said. Musharraf said he had consulted service chiefs, core
commanders, his cabinet, national security, Ulema and others in evolving
Pakistan's stand as he had before the Agra Summit.

         'I did not disappoint the nation in Agra. Even now, I will not
disappoint the people,''he said.

                                  Stating that Pakistan was passing through the
most critical phase since the 1971 Indo-Pak war, Musharraf said India should
not be under any "misconception" that it can get its "designs" implemented.

               "Our air force is on high alert and is ready for a do-or-die
mission. The army and the entire people of Pakistan will give their lives for
safety of Pakistan's strategic assets," he said.

     Musharraf said the US first target was Laden followed by Taliban for
 sheltering him and his outfit Al Qaida. Its third target is terrorism.

"Among these three targets, there is neither Islam nor people of Afghanistan,"
he said.

          Recalling that Pakistan was a party to the U N resolution to fight
terrorism and bring Laden to justice, the Pakistani ruler said the move had
been supported by all Islamic countries.

            Admitting divisions within the country on how to deal with Taliban,
he said he took the decision to back the international efforts to combat
terrorism keeping Pakistan's supreme interests in mind.

         "What are our critical concerns? Our critical concerns are our
sovereignty, revival of our economy, protection of strategic assets including
nuclear and missile assets and the Kashmir issue. Wrong decisions can harm
these priorities,'' he said.

             Any "wrong decision" on Islamabad's part would have "far reaching
implications and could imperil our future