[OPE-L:5970] Re: Re: "moral chasm"

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 14:41:03 EDT

Paul:

Yes, killing hundreds of thousands of people to keep down the price of oil
is mindless violence. I would never argue that the US government is not
capable of mindless murder, assassinations, etc. Allende in Chile, Lumumba
in Africa, a whole bunch of other people in the US during Operation
COINTELPRO, the invasion of Grenada, the bombing of Panama, etc. makes this
point.

The distinction between terrorism and a legitimate liberation struggle
comes down to the distinction between self-defense and malicious murder.

Now, you are correct that I do not "understand" the purpose of the WTC
attack. But, I am not along in this. President Qadafi, who was the subject
of a US assassination attempt (in clear violation of American law) has also
condemned attack on the WTC. The goal of the perpetrators was simply to
excite pure terror among the American population. Well, they accomplished
that.

peace, plm