[OPE-L:5988] Re: US media and Palestinians

From: nicola taylor (n.taylor@student.murdoch.edu.au)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 02:00:51 EDT

>Other postings (e.g. from Rakesh and Nicola) have said the question
>of actual falsification is secondary; the real point is the way the
>US media used the video from Nablus to (I'm putting this in my own
>words) demonize the Palestinians.

No, I didn't say this.  I wanted to make the point that news is always
*made*.  By this I mean that events are threaded together to sell a message
to an audience, just as a photographer's still photographs are embedded in
the stories that journalists decide to tell back in the world's capitals
(irrespective of the original context or caption that may originally have
accompanied the gram sent by the photographer).  This is not a statement
about truth or falsity of the particular film clip in question but a more
general statement about the business of making news.

As to the message that CNN hoped to convey, I didn't say what that might be
because it is still in the making.  Privately I can guess, drawing on my
own personal experience as a news photographer (which includes covering the
'Gulf War' for the Melbourne Age newpaper).  But like you, Allin, I prefer
not to speculate in a counter-productive fashion.  There are a great many
well-documented sources; anyone who wants to find the evidence of a close
association between the media and political (capitalist) interests in the
making of news will be able to do so without much difficulty.

Ps. appologies about the 'Worm' (I think it must have come from my computer
as the original source is clean - I will try to do something about it later
and in the meantime send from another computer).

Comradely
Nicky

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Nicola Mostyn (Taylor)
Faculty of Economics
Murdoch University
South Street