[OPE-L:5989] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: alleged CNN falsification

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 08:04:50 EDT

Allin,

I'd be prepared to request family members of mine in St. Louis to get to
the source who confirmed that it "was old footage".  Or, I could do it
myself the next time I get to St. Louis, probably January.  Or, if you plan
a St. Louis visit, I may be able to arrange a meeting.  (Incidentally, I
was copying to the list a message from someone I know very well, not an
'acquaintance'; furthermore, the 'contact' was a named St. Louis peace
activist.)

It should be possible to get to the bottom of this and perhaps SEE the
videos in question.  I guess it depends upon how is important energy now
spent on this item.  Rakesh thinks it's inconsequential but I don't.  I
sense you agree the truth of the matter is consequential, but you are
convinced of CNN's truthfulness. (The fact of the retraction by Brazilian
student isn't meaningful, as far as I am concerned.)  In any case, I of
course agree that the left is best served by truth.

In my opinion, pictoral images are extremely penetrating to the
consciousness and can completely submerge a verbal statement, e.g., by
Arafat (who hasn't credibility here, anyway).  Words are often forgetten;
those pictures are seered into many minds and become part of the background
for racist attacks and discrimination.

Wasn't it Colin Powell as a major who drafted a report that there was no My
Lai massacre, eight months after it took place?  In our case, probably by
the time we have actual footage, people will be onto something else (e.g.,
are tactical nuclear weapons being used or not?).

Paul

Paul Zarembka, editor, RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY at
********************* http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka