[OPE-L:6204] (Fwd) Re: Re: econometrics

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 11:00:27 EST

message from patrick meant for the list follows:

Date sent:      	Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:02:55 -0500
To:             	Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk
From:           	"Patrick L. Mason" <pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject:        	Re: [OPE-L:6200] Re:  econometrics

There will never be a perfect statistical model. Some variable will always
be omitted. No empirical variable will ever match precisely its theoretical
concept. Functional form questions will always be present. Perfect
explanation of past events will never be sufficient to provide perfect
prediction of future events. (Neural network models are great at
explanation and lousy at prediction). For these reasons and many others we
typically need a large number of studies using many data sets and
approaches to  establish the nature and extent of expected correlations.
Even when we have a well known statistical correlation, e.g., individual
income is positively correlated with individual years of education and
positively correlated with individual quality of education, it does end
theoretical debate over what the correlation represents.

Descriptive statistics should be used.
Regressions should be used.
Calibration should be used.
Experimental economics should be used.
Simulation should be used.

Economics is doomed to remain an imprecise science. So, we should always
use a wide variety of techniques to establish the nature and extent of
quantitative relations between variables.

peace, patrick l mason