[OPE-L:6205] Re: Re: econometrics

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 11:25:40 EST

Jerry:

Let's create a list of everything appropriated by neoclassical economics.

1. english
2. mathematics
3. statistics/econometrics
4. formal education
5. professional refereed journals

Clearly, we cannot reject something just because neoclassicals have
appropriated it. The only thing neoclassical appropriation proves is that
neoclassical economics has refused to remain static. For better or worse,
when an intellectual breakthrough comes along some of the more imaginative
neoclassicals attempt to appropriate it.

Consider the simple regression coefficient b = cov(x,y)/var(x). Why is this
confined to neoclassical economics?

What's wrong with non-parametric estimation, which attempts to recover the
functional form from the data rather than imposing the functional form on
the data?

Jerry, please know neoclassical theorists and libertarians often many of
the objections that you are making. Theorists of all persuasions are often
hostile to econometrics and any other quantitative analysis. Why? Because
theorists enjoy speculating without the constraints of relevance!!! :):):)