[OPE-L:6218] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: econometrics

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 11:23:06 EST

Jerry:

There's always an "accepted" theory. There are many groupings of Marxists.
Each group should provide some sort of quantitative work that illustrates
the relative importance of its theoretical relationships. All statistics
represent the last stage of development of a theory. If there are i = 1,
..., N Marxists sub-groups, then each sub-group should subject its own
theoretical propositions to the fire of empirical analysis. This hasn't
happened and it has had a deeply negative impact on the development of
Marxian economics.

There are more than enough Marxian economists do exceptional quantitative
work. The desired statistical work has not been forthcoming because Marxian
economists are  often uninterested in doing the work. One of my great
frustrations as a journal referee was reading the 1,000,000,000th paper on
the transformation problem that contained zero empirical work. Typically,
authors would reply that the paper was "concerned with a theoretical
issue," not an empirical issue. After 1 billion papers on the
transformation problem I think it is perfectly reasonable to request that
authors demonstrate empirical relevance.