[OPE-L:6219] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: econometrics

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 11:35:24 EST

Econometrics (any form of data crunching) is open to all kinds of
charlatans, but so is theory, history of thought, and economic history and
philosophy.

Many economic relationships may be inherently nonlinear. I'd certainly
believe this to be the case. But, there are non-linear estimation
techniques. As I've stated before, there never has been and there never
will be a flawless econometric equation. But, for any group of analysts who
are in reasonable theoretical agreement, it is not difficult to assess the
relevance of a particular econometric studies or collection of studies. The
problem occurs when there are theoretical differences.

peace, patrick