[OPE-L:6361] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: recent science and society and Fred M's interpretation

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@MAIL.WESLEYAN.EDU)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 16:25:09 EST

Re Rakesh's post 6333:

Rakesh, I think I now see the basis on which you questioned the possibility
of being Marxist without embracing Marx's law of value.  Am I right to say
you reserve the term "Marxist" (as opposed to, say, "post-Marxist" or
"Marxist-inspired") for analysis that follows the analytical scheme laid
out in capital, so that someone who rejects Marx's theory of labor value,
for example, is not a Marxist by definition?  Even if that person embraces
most or all of Marx's diagnosis of and prognosis for capitalism?

Gil

PS, A point of lingering curiosity:  What exactly do you take Marx's "law
of value" to be?