[OPE-L:6360] Re: Re: recent science and society and Fred M's interpretation

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 12:06:46 EST

>Volume 3 of Capital is mainly about the distribution of surplus-value, or
the division of the total surplus-value (as determined in Volume 1)

Fred,
we are agreed that in order for total surplus value to have been determined in
vol I (or determined according to the formula in vol 1?), the
following two points must be true, right?

(1)"The value transferred to the product by constant capital is then
given, not as the labour time embodied in its components, but as the
labour time represented by the money paid for it, being its money
price multiplied by the value of money or divided by the monetary
expression of labor time" (Alan Freeman, Alejandro Ramos, Fred M).

(2)if this is so, Marx's talk of double divergence has to be--as
Allin long ago recognized, and I came to understand much
later--gibberish and logically incoherent and should in effect be
ignored.

Rakesh