[OPE-L:6509] RE: * poll: who has advanced political economy since Marx? *

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@stjohns.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 00:12:17 EST

Stimulating question, Jerry.

I would have to say Sraffa (surprise!), mainly for showing that the classical
P.E. tradition running through Ricardo to Marx is robust: i.e. its fundamental
insights regarding value and distribution hold up when the problematic labor
value analysis is discarded.  He also pointed the way to a critique of the
marginalist theory that displaced classical and Marxian P.E.

The contribution was both positive and critical: he gave us a reason to stick
with classical P.E. (the theory holds up) and a reason to ditch neoclassical
theory (it DOESN'T hold up).  I would also include Pierangelo Gargnani, who
carried forward the critique implicit in Production of Commodities, and who
has cast important light on what Marx and the classicals were getting at.

I find it difficult to think of many other post-Marx figures whose
contributions have been of comparable importance -- that is, comparable to the
achievements of Curie, Crick, Rutherford et al. in physics and chemistry.
Baran and Sweezy (separately and together) might qualify for their work on
monopoly capital; and Kalecki of course shouldn't be ignored.