[OPE-L:6552] Re: marx, engels, and ecology

From: glevy@pop-b.pratt.edu
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 10:53:12 EST

Re Paul Burkett's [6544]:

> I disagree with the view that Marx and Engels completely missed the
> boat on ecology, and I have written at length in opposition to this
> view in my book MARX AND NATURE and numerous articles.	These
> writings explore the issue not in generalized AD HOMINEM terms but by
> looking at Marx and Engels' thought as a whole and at specific
> concepts they developed.  John Bellamy Foster's book MARX'S ECOLOGY
> comes to similar conclusions as my own, based on his historical-
> intellectual analysis of the development of Marx and Engels'
> thinking and how it was shaped in various crucial ways by their
> engagement with the works of what would nowadays be called ecologists
> like Liebig and others.

It's good to hear from you, Paul. I trust you are well.

What I find interesting here is that both J.B. Foster and yourself came to the same conclusion despite the fact that you highlight the role of Marx's theory of value to his understanding of environmental issues whereas Foster -- an advocate of the Baran-Sweezy 'monopoly capital' (and MR) school of thought -- does not. This raises the issue: can Marx's understanding of enviromental issues be developed independently of his theory of value?

In solidarity, Jerry