[OPE-L:6581] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: * poll: who has advanced political econ omy since Marx? *

From: dashyaf@easynet.co.uk
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 06:34:53 EST

Rakesh,

The point you are making re difficulty in sustaining a sizable 'middle
class' as the crisis deepens is precisely why the US has to see off any
challenge to its hegemony. It is the growing crisis which is responsible
for inter-imperialist rivalries. In fact my argument in the articles is
that the privileged working class which British capitalism will be able to
sustain will necessarily get smaller as the crisis confronts growing
sections of the privileged working class and 'middle class' with
'proletarianisation'. Their political influence is what is decisive.

David