[OPE-L:6601] The Kliman Debate

From: Asfilho@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 03:13:56 EST

Recent messages have shown how difficult it can be to discuss this matter on
the list. Perhaps we can agree on the following:

1. OPE-L takes a strong and uncompromising stand for economic pluralism.

2. In fulfilling our professional duties, as teachers, administrators,
researchers, referees, members of lists and editorial boards and in any other
capacity, a spirit of tolerance and understanding is essential.

3. We lament that the dispute between Andrew Kliman and URPE has taken the
legal route.

4. We believe that individuals and groups on the left should avoid using
legal instruments in order to address their political and theoretical
differences or to resolve their grievances.

5. We believe that academic journals on the left should use appropriate and
transparent quality controls in order to select papers for publication. They
are entitled to reject papers from theoretical perspectives alien to the
left. Papers incorporating left perspectives and goals should be evaluated on
their merit. Prejudice and gratuitous intolerance in any shape or form are
unacceptable. This is best ensured by using a pool of referees with diverse
theoretical perspectives, and who are committed to the principles of
pluralism within the left.

6. Journals are entitled to reject papers. Authors are entitled to seek other
outlets for publication, including other journals and edited or
single-authored books, and they are entitled (indeed, encouraged) to start
new journals.

7. The list rejects any attempt to stifle debate on or off list, either
through the threat of legal action or by other means.

Alfredo.