[OPE-L:6688] Re: Re: Re: RE: Re: Imperialism

From: Claus Magno Germer (cmgermer@sociais.ufpr.br)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 07:52:18 EST

I agree that it is necessary to deepen our understanding of the meaning of imperialism today. The posts by Alfredo and others about the subject indicate the need to start with an attempt to conceptualize imperialism, and I think Lenin's methodological approach in this respect goes in the right direction.

According to Lenin, imperialism should be conceptualized as a historical phase of development of capitalism. In this sense he critiqued Kautsky's understanding of imperialism as a policy of dominant capitalist countries towards 'agrarian' countries or regions which they exploited.

Objective characteristics of the phase into which capitalism entered at the end of the 19th century were, according to Lenin: monopolisation of capital, development of the credit system and of finance capital, export of capital by monopoly finance capital, division of the world among capitalist powers, which led to war. I think the important point in Lenin's approach is that imperialism is not conceptualised as just the exploitation or oppression of less developped countries or regions. Imperialism designtes instead the international shape of capitalist relations under the objective conditions mentioned above, which comprises the competitive clash between national bourgeoisies of the capitalis powers at the international sphere, not only between themselves directly but also between them and both the less developped capitalist and non-capitalist countries or regions around the world.

The question today would be: has capitalism entered into a new phase of its development, different from the one described by Lenin, corresponding to the beginnings of the 20th century?

Saludos a todos,
Claus.

Claus Germer
cmgermer@sociais.ufpr.br