[OPE-L:6690] Re: Imperialism

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 09:42:31 EST

Re Alfredo's [6678] and Claus's [6688]:

Alfredo wrote:

> I agree with Julian that we ought to search for an *economic*
dimension of imperialism. This is an urgent task. Anwar Shaikh
has made very important contributions to the critique of neoclassical
trade theory, and perhaps his analysis can contribute to the development
of a theory of unequal exchange that avoids the critiques commonly raised
against Emmanuel's work. <

I would add that Anu's writings on foreign trade should themselves be
critiqued: what do you think about the relationship of a theory of absolute
advantage to our understanding of imperialism?  On unequal exchange,
I think that we could also learn much from a re-examination and critique
of Mandel's _Late Capitalism_.

Claus wrote that  "Lenin's methodological approach ... goes in the right
direction". But, what  *specifically*  was Lenin's "methodological approach"
towards developing a theory of imperialism?  Wasn't he pretty clear in
stating that the task of developing a theory of imperialism was
unfinished?

In solidarity, Jerry