[OPE-L:6726] Re: imperialism

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 08:42:26 EST

Re Alfredo's [6723] w ref. to Claus's [6711]:

> I agree with Jerry about the need to tackle the pre-requisites for a
theory of imperialism. In my view they include a theory of the state, of
foreign trade and of ,unequal exchange, for want of a better name. Obviously
historical analyses are also essential, because the actual connection
between these strands of theory can be determined only empirically.
 This type of connection of the elements of theory makes me unconvinced by
the claim that imperialism is a *necessary* stage of capitalism ;
*necessary* as if ;unavoidable, in the sense that the reproduction of
capital (the wage relation specifically) would collapse without it. To me,
it is fairly clear that it would not. <

I guess it does indeed depend on what we mean by
imperialism.  If it is a *contingent*  'phase' (to Lenin
the "latest" phase) then it would be impossible, ipso
facto, to establish a claim of  *necessity*.  If that is
the case then the kinds of questions that Claus specified
in [6711] would seem to be the order of the day.
If, however, one sees imperialism as a necessary consequence
of and expression of a deepening of the internationalization
of capital,  then a claim of necessity could be attempted
(and even in that context,  we could attempt to answer
Claus's questions.

In solidarity, Jerry

> At this point in time, when US imperialism has taken an exceptionally
aggressive turn, it would be important for marxists to be able to offer some
insights in this regard.<