[OPE-L:6771] Re: change the world

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 07:19:27 EST

Re John H's [6765]:

>     The interesting question is then how one sees the relation between
> "love" (or dignity or mutual recognition or whatever one wants to call it)
> and value. Is value the negation of love? What then is the relation
> between  love and crisis?

Value is an expression of the dynamic of  capital.  Expressing it
differently,  the value relation represents an organizing principle of
capitalism and the particular form that class exploitation takes within the
cmp.  To the extent  that the value relation transforms human-beings into
(only) wage-laborers,  then I think it does represent the negation of love
for we can only _truly_  love -- i.e. realize our potential, to the extent
that  it is possible under the cmp,  as real (fully) human beings -- when
we break beyond the prisons and shackles of  what value and capital
(and patriarchy) have reduced us to.   Thus wage-labor  (itself an
expression of exploitation) stands in opposition to human being and love.

Love and crisis?   Well, I guess it depends on what kind of "crisis" we're
talking about.   Love and solidarity by workers are part of the dynamic of
struggle by workers to ensure that the crisis is not resolved on terms
dictated by capital (here I am thinking of the crisis that accompanies a
periodic downturn in profitability and accumulation.)  The more interesting
question is how love plays an increasing role in a  *revolutionary* dynamic
by workers and in their awareness of their potential to be "gravediggers"
and thereby to be (pardon the expression) "born again".   Far too many
Marxists, though, seem to me to have a very mechanistic idea of how
a  revolutionary dynamic can arise, grow, and succeed and what connection
that has to "crisis theory".   In this connection,  I am reminded of the
cartoon on listmember Anwar Shaikh's homepage:
http://homepage.newschool.edu/~AShaikh/
I think that you're asking the right question -- "How to change the
world?" --  but there is no simple answer and answers will arise through
praxis rather than mere academic discourse.

Well, John  H (and others): what do you think of the above musings?

In solidarity, Jerry