[OPE-L:6801] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Paul Krugman

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 15:45:46 EST

I take the point, but in both cases capitalists are supplying both markets
only to make a profit--it's just that investment capitalists won't make a
profit unless the consumer ones are doing likewise at a sufficient scale.

Keynes, by the way, was a great fan of Marx's M--C--M+ analysis, and quoted
it in an early draft of the General Theory. Unfortunately, it was edited
out. I think the GT would have been a lot less obscure if he had quoted it.

Steve
At 03:47 AM 22/03/2002 Friday, you wrote:
>Steve writes in 6794
>
>>The argument in that chapter was just to explain Keynes's critique of
>>Say's Law Rakesh: it wasn't the basis of my entire analysis of cycles in
>>capitalism! -:)
>>
>>All that Keynes was trying to do in his D1/D2 analysis was counter the
>>neoclassical view that if there are 2 markets and one goes down, the
>>other must go up--insufficient demand in one means excess demand in the
>>other. Keynes simply divided output into two markets and gave an
>>explanation why if one (consumption) went down, then the other
>>(investment) was likely to go down too--not up.
>
>Well of course I do not disagree with the possibility either in theory or
>reality of general gluts.
>
>My point is that the claim that the demand for investment goods derives
>from the demand for consumption goods seems to be a euphemistic way of
>articulating the pretty conception that the aim of capitalist production
>is the direct satisfaction of the consumption of the producers.
>
>This is why I am sensing something of a contradiction in this chapter.
>
>All the best, Rakesh

Home Page: http://www.debunking-economics.com
             http://bus.uws.edu.au/steve-keen/
             http://www.stevekeen.net
Dr. Steve Keen
Associate Professor of Economics & Finance
School of Economics and Finance
Campbelltown Campus, Building 11 Room 30,
UNIVERSITY WESTERN SYDNEY
LOCKED BAG 1797
PENRITH SOUTH DC NSW 1797
Australia