[OPE-L:6881] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Iraq

From: Cyrus Bina (binac@mrs.umn.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 15:23:46 EST

Dear Rakesh,

Just briefly, for now:  The Marxian question of the decline in the profit
rate is a tendency, which meets its counter-tendencies in the formation of
new 'value' over the cycles of production.  This is at the heart of Marx's
crisis theory.   This is totally different from the so-called long-term fall
in the rate of profit that is so popularly debated these days.  I think the
origin of this latter approach is in Smith and Ricardo.  See, for instance,
Ben Fine, Theories of Capitalist Development. 1981.

Best,

Cyrus