[OPE-L:6883] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Iraq

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 15:57:22 EST

Dear Cyrus,
According to Grossman and Bernice Shoul, the combined theory of the
falling rate of profit and its counter-tendencies was developed by
John Stuart Mill to whom Marx was quite unfair.

Another antecedent is Richard Jones who observed that the
accumulation of capital was often most rapid when the rate of profit
was low--Samuel Hollander has also hit on this point.

  Grossman developed this idea by underlining that capital had to
accumulate in order to ensure the mass of profit grows even as the
rate of profit falls. That is why Sweezy's argument that in the face
of the shortage of surplus value the rate of accumulation (or the %
of surplus value that is capitalized as additional constant and
variable capital) would simply and easily be adjusted downward does
not hold. Capital is not free not to accumulate at such a low rate
that the mass of profit does not grow, for if the mass of profit
does not grow capitalist production would have no meaning to the
capitalist class and would stall forthwith.

  Another  question is whether there is any reason to believe that
those counter-tendencies that do operate in the course of a downturn
as Ben Fine and many others recognize tend to become relatively
weaker over time, thereby rendering a purely 'economic' solution to
downturns only partial.

Finally the theory of counter-tendencies is marred by confusion or
rather conflation of those counter-tendencies that help certain
capitals stave off falling profitability at the expense of others and
those counter-tendencies that
restore the rentability of the system as a whole.

All the best, Rakesh