[OPE-L:6984] Re: Re value-form

From: Ian Hunt (Ian.Hunt@flinders.edu.au)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 22:30:05 EDT

Chris,
After giving it some thought and finding some spare time, I'm not sure that
I understand your claim that 'empty forms' lack 'causal efficacy'. After
all, if exchange mediates between producers or solves the problems of
barter, it surely has 'causal efficacy' in at least one sense.
I think I agree with your claim that in other modes of production,
exchange-value does not 'express a content  but is simply used by a foreign
content as a mere mediator'.  Your expression 'mere mediator' suggests to
me that what you mean by 'causal efficacy' is the system building causal
efficacy of 'self-valorising value'. That is, taking the parallels that you
admirably draw between 'self-valorising value' and Hegel's 'geist,only in
the case of capitalist commodity production does the commodity form and
'value' as its substance have the kind of causal efficacy that hegel
ascribes to 'Geist'. But I don't think I understand or agree with a
stronger claim.
As to your claim that only in a value form of that kind of causal efficacy
do we have value determining manitudes, if we accept that the pattern of
exchanges values can be discerned in other cases (but not as an expression,
as you put it, of 'a content') it is surely  an empirical matter whether as
you put it 'in such pre/post-capitalist exchange systems, exchange ratios
would be arbitrary or tautologically reducible to
intersection of preference schedules.' The law of supply and demand in the
form that prices move higher when supply falls short of demand and lower
when it exceeds demand is not a tautology  and is even false in non
perfectly competitive markets (which cannot exist), although it isd a good
approximation for a wide range of markets and circumstances. Nor need it be
the case that exchange ratios are 'arbitrary' in the sense that they are
matter of random fluctuation behind which no pattern can be discerned,
though they might be 'arbitrary' in the sense of not expressive of a
content'.  Paul Cockshot's sort of analysis could show that the pattern
lies between that of correspondence with embodied socially necessary labour
contents and that of a uniform return on investment. It could also be
argued that this is no mere accident by analysing the forces generally at
work in commodity exchange.

Perhaps the following might both accommodate something like what you are
saying and could also be something that I agree with. Alternatively, it may
not be possible to achieve that - but I think our conceptual categories
should not become so rigid that they pronounce as meaningless, confused or
wrong reasonable claims (resting on analogies perhaps) such as that slave
owners appropriate surplus value from their slaves, or merchants
appropriate surplus value from buying cheap and selling dear. (Of course,
slave owners do not HIRE workers to be worked for a profit, but buy them as
though they were cattle. Formally, they are in the same position as a small
capitalist, who hires a few workers to tend a herd of cattle - where these
human animals, of course, may yield profits on a scale that milking cows
cannot, because of the competitive advantage of their costs of production)
.
But let me try this out for agreement: The organising principle of
capitalist commodity production is universal self-valorising value: let us
call this V. V has systematic effects, reproducing and expanding capitalist
commodity production, and lends its peculiar stamp to commodity exchange
within the capitalist mode of production. Capitalist production and
capitalist commodity exchange each produces the other as itself. Capital as
a whole provides an account of self-valorising value as the principle of
capitalist commodity production, in which more abstract elements of
commodity exchange take their specific form from their place in a system of
self-valorising value as a whole.

In other social formations, commodity exchange might exist but it will not
be 'the other' of a single mode of production (competitive capitalist
exploitation, as you put it) which penetrates and develops the system of
production and exchange. It plays a role in the economy of these social
formations but is not the developmenta principle of the social system as a
whole. The pattern of exchanges is either accidental or, if it has a
substance - call it 'value' - that does not play a developmental role such
as Value does.

Surplus Value exists only in capitalist commodity production but surplus
value may exist in other social formations.

Please let me know what you can accept in the above (less than carefully
considered email expression, typos, etc, aside),
Cheers,
Ian