[OPE-L:7004] Re: a boring question (for John H and others)

From: John Holloway (johnholloway@prodigy.net.mx)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 08:12:26 EDT

Dear Jerry and all,

    I quite agree with Harry on this. Capital is boring, not just in the
sense that it reproduces boring lives, but because capital is a process of
separation. Capital separates us from sociality (the social flow of doing)
and therefore from each other, from the sense of our own activity, from
ourselves, etc.

    If capital is a process of separation, then it generates an externality
in all our social relations. What we find boring is surely boring because we
see it as being outside us, external to us. In that sense capital is
inherently boring.

    To say that "Capital  is above all objectionable because it is boring"
is surely right if we understand capital in this sense, as separation.

    John