[OPE-L:7011] Re: Re: Capital & Class

From: howard engelskirchen (lhengels@igc.org)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 22:31:20 EDT

Recall "The Method of Political Economy" in the introduction to the
Grundrisse:

"It would seem right to start with the real and concrete, with the actual
presupposition, e.g. in political economy to start with population, which
forms the basis and subject of the whole social act of production.  Closer
consideration shows, however, that this is wrong.  Population is an
abstraction if, for instance, one disregards the classes of which it is
composed.  These classes in turn remain an empty phrase if one does not
know the elements on which they are based, e.g. wage labour, capital, etc.
These presuppose exchange, division of labour, prices, etc. . . . ."

That is, by chapter 52 "class" is no longer an empty phrase.

Howard