[OPE-L:7093] Re: Re: women and Marxian political economy

From: nicola taylor (n.taylor@student.murdoch.edu.au)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 08:50:11 EDT

Hi Jerry [7079],
I agree with all of the points you make (below).  Nothing to add really,
except to echo John H's previous comment on the presence of trusted
comrades as a factor facilitating tentative explorations in unusual styles
of communication and/or topics.  This 'accepting' attitude towards mixing
up the personal, political and professional is what I meant when I referred
to *unique* aspects of OPE-L (possibly you know of other lists?).  In more
general terms, I believe that *all* computer-mediated contexts do afford
greater opportunities (albeit largely unrealised) for 'nurturing' or
'supportive' styles of discussion in comparison with, say, a lecture room
or any other face to face forum (for the simple reason that respondents
have more time to think about what they are *doing* in addition to what
they are *writing*). In any case, conscious attention to styles of
communication in addition to the focus on what is communicated seems to be
an important element in some of the interactions on OPE-L (despite their
intensity).  As a result, I've personally learned a great deal on OPE-L,
not only about value theory but also about how to value others (as debating
partners rather than debating opponents).

comradely
Nicky

Nicola Taylor
Faculty of Economics