[OPE-L:7144] Re: Frederick Engels at Highgate Cemetary -- March l7, l883

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 09:43:12 EDT

Re David Y's [7l37]:

> In this context it is really not serious to argue that Engels was unaware of the importance of the law of the tendency of the rate of profit to fall in Marx's analysis of capitalism. After all they were in constant contact and discussion with each other as Marx developed his position.

Yet, even if Engels had a basic idea about what Marx's LTGRPD
was about, this doesn't mean that he had reason to believe that,
according to Marx, the LTGRPD was the "law of motion".

> In addition the method of enquiry and that of presentation are entirely different - even the opposite I remember Marx saying somewhere. So Engels and Marx would have been aware of much of the material for Capital before it was presented in the form that we are aware of. <

Well, the drafts for what became V3 were written before
Vl was published.  So, clearly, the order of writing was
different from the order of presentation (in terms of order
of writing, it mostly took the following order: drafts for
what became VIII, Volume I, drafts for what became
VII.)   Yet, even though Marx wrote the drafts for VIII
before VI, there is little indication that Marx discussed
the details of VIII at great length with Engels (although,
they did correspond about some VIII issues.)

All this is an attempt to briefly summarise my position but I would like to think that those who were seriously interested in these questions would at least look at my writings over the last 20 years or so in Fight Racism! Fight Imperialism! - our website has some of the material at
http://www.rcgfrfi.easynet.co.uk or www.revolutionarycommunist.com

An aside:
I remember reading some of your writings (and an article by
Paul B on productive and unproductive labor) back in the late
70's and early 80's.   Indeed, they made the rounds of New
School students back in the days. I recall that Paolo Giussani
-- connecting this thread to another -- was quite enthusiastic
about your writings and Paul B's.  I must admit, though, that
it's been a while since I have reviewed those writings.

In solidarity, Jerry