[OPE-L:7154] Scurrying Towards Bethlehem

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 17:48:45 EDT

This analysis is highly recommended.
rb

http://www.newleftreview.net/NLR24401.shtml

  SCURRYING TOWARDS BETHLEHEM
  PERRY ANDERSON

Behind the second Intifada lies a century of conflict in Palestine. What are
  its roots, and what are its prospects? The Oslo Accords, the Israeli
landscape and the Arab world
_______

Here is a disturbing footnote for example.                  .

[Winston] Churchill's long-standing Zionism was based on racial
rather than religious convictions. He expressed his social darwinist
beliefs
unambiguously to the Peel Commission in 1937, comparing Palestinian
Arabs to the proverbial emblem of envious egoism in the animal world:
'I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the
manger, even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do
not admit that right. I do not admit, for instance, that a great
wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America, or the black
people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to
these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher grade race, a
more worldly-wise race, to put it that way, has come in and taken
their place'. See Martin Gilbert, Winston S. Churchill, comp. vol. 5,
part 3, Boston 1983, p. 616

                 .