[OPE-L:7159] correction re Marx on solving human problems

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 15:41:02 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jurriaan Bendien" <j.bendien@wolmail.nl>
To: <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2002 10:45 AM
Subject: correction

 Jerry,

 I just checked out the original quote again, which is:

 "Mankind thus inevitably sets itself only such tasks as it is able to
 solve, since closer examination will always show that the problem itself
 arises only when the material conditions for its solution are already
 present or at least in the course of
ormation".

 Therefore Marx actually doesn't use a double negative. I was actually
 wondering about that, because what you said did not sound quite right, so I
 checked it. My previous post was therefore in error, although the main
 point still stands, since "able to solve" does not mean "will solve".

 Jurriaan