[OPE-L:7276] Re: NYTimes.com Article: Where's the Boom?

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 15:28:55 EDT

Rakesh, I pretty much agree with Krugman here.  I especially agree that a
dangerous new factor for the US economy is its "fall from grace" in the
eyes of foreign investors, as we have discussed in recent posts.  If
foreign investors cease to provide the US with $1.2 billion every day, as
they seem to have in recent months, then the effect could be very nasty
for the US economy.  My comparison would not be with 1983, but with the
late 1990s, the heady years of record capital inflows.

The main factor which Krugman leaves out, characteristically for
mainstream economists, is PROFIT.  As we have discussed, the share and the
rate of profit declined precipitously from 1997 to 2001.  Profit has now
stopped declining, and has even increased a little, but still has a long
way to go to recover the 1997 peak.  I think this is the main reason why
investment spending will remain weak in the months ahead.

Furthermore, I think low profits will also have additional negative
effects on the economy.  In order to increase their profits, businesses
continue to try to cut costs aggressively, mainly by laying off workers or
reducing hours,.  Sooner or later (and I think pretty soon), these
reductions in workers' income will cause consumer spending to decline
(consumer spending cannot be propped up by debt forever).  And when that
happens, we will be back in a recession, which is likely to be worse this
time, because it will be compounded by more business bankruptcies, more
personal bankruptcies, and a reduction of capital inflows.  If the capital
inflows turn into outflows, then we will be in really serious trouble.

Comradely,
Fred