[OPE-L:7281] Re: Re: NYTimes.com Article: Where's the Boom?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 12:59:40 EDT

Fred,
I take it that in your 7276 you agree with Krugman that there is no
Keynesian led expansion now underway? Unlike the post-Keynesian Paul
Davidson, Krugman seems to think that the Reagan deficits themselves
did little to power an expansion which he attributes mainly to the
housing boom after interest rate reductions. Well, I do think tax
breaks and govt deficits will have to do the lion's share of the
stimulus this time around.

  Krugman however did forget the one factor which Bush has over
Reagan. The latter had to break labor (roll back unionization,
contain pensions, and slash the social wage); the former already
inherits a labor movement on its back. This has allowed for
considerable rationalization in the downswing--because of ruthless
layoffs productivity has increased even during this
recession!--there'll be a  higher rate of exploitation in the
upswing. Even newly hired skilled workers will be relatively cheap
once the economy picks up again.

But Fred, here is where I am a bit confused by both your recent
Monthly Review piece and your post here:

You seem to emphasize the negative underconsumption effects from
rationalization and intensified exploitation over the positive
stimulus effects on the rate of profit and therewith capital
accumulation?
rb