[OPE-L:7299] Re: 'De omnibus dubitandum' [was: interpreting Marx's texts]

From: dashyaf@easynet.co.uk
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 07:51:49 EDT

Jerry,

The only answer I can give to the first part of your response is that
arguing and developing Marx's standpoint against the critics at least helps
those coming new to Marx's writings to accept that Marx was not the
'inconsistent' theorist the critics make him out to be. That total surplus
value equals total profit, and total value equals total price is of
enormous importance as you are no doubt aware. This makes the point that
all capitals share in the oppression and exploitation of workers throughout
the world whatever their claims. I remember one revolutionary writer using
this argument in the1970s against those who believed there were good and
bad multinationals in relation to the exploitation of the apartheid South
Africa.

The second point is jesuitical. The notion of critique of the 'critical
critics' is not that of Marx, which had clear revolutionary implications.
The test of the truth of a theory is a question of practice. We have a
different view of the theory of scientific thinking and you are aware of
this point. There is too much to argue about to go over all this again. I
am satisfied that Marx's position is consistent, if that were not the case
one could not continue to develop the theory. As I believe I learnt
studying under the dreadful Karl Popper, 'anything follows from a
contradiction'. so an inconsistent theory would be no use to anyone.

Enough of this!

In solidarity

David Yaffe